Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Tickle of My Breath

Tickle of My Breath
Written and Recorded 2012

This song has been around long enough for me to admit that I have absolutely no idea how I wrote it. Lightning never strikes twice and this song proves it for me. Nothing before or since has come close to the energy in this tune.
  • Despite it's high energy and cheerful sound, the lyrics of this song can be one of two things. 1) Questioning authority/faith or 2) Spooky houses. I'm not going to lie to you, the first verse was originally written about being in a haunted house, feeling the cold presence of a ghost. Over time, I've sung this song with different intentions for different performances. 
  • I really feel like I got luck with verse 3 being able to work in an echo/round style. It sounds a lot better on the Whiskey Doubles recording of this with Kristen singing it rather than me, but it's a cool effect that breaks up the usual song structures.
  • Though one of the older songs in the current catalog for Whiskey Doubles, this song has been a great addition to almost every setlist for the last 3 years. It not only changes up the energy, but also the texture. One guitar and then percussion for everyone else. It can be a stark contrast to something as full as guitar/clarinet/flute/cello.
  • Fun fact: this song has most often been described as "cute." Not a word I typically would use for any of my music, but still, people seem to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment