Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A Journey

A Journey
Written and Recorded 2010

This is probably one of my simplest, but meaningful pieces that I created while in Baraboo. When I sat down to write this song and started having ideas, I knew I wanted it to be laced with as much emotion I could without bringing in my agenda. As you all know by now, those were some difficult times for me. But when I wrote this song, my original intent was to present it to family as a gift. I never did follow through with that, but I do enjoy the end product.
  • Synth pads are one of my favorite tools for this kind of writing. If you find/create the right one, it can have as much weight as the human voice. They can be as delicate or strong as you want them to be.
  • I go through the main progression quite a few times before moving on in melodic material. I thought it was so simple and beautiful that I wanted to explore it in a few different textures/ranges. Doing that keeps the song moving forward enough for me where I don't get bored.
  • The building that happens on the 2nd progression is really nice for me. Once you get that extra low octave in there, it cues the listener that there is something strong going on. 
  • My favorite part is the drop-off after the build. Both parts are beautiful, and one can't be fully experienced without the other. The intensity and the softness are both necessary for the full effect.
  • This song is a soothing reminder of the beauty that can come out of painful experiences. As I've frequently come to say in recent years, "It's all about the journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment